Monday, June 16, 2008

Ebay

Isn't it so easy to get caught up in the action of Ebay? I caught myself involved in a heated bidding war over a pair of salt and pepper shakers that looked like sneakers today, and was into it for way more than my rational self would have approved of before I realized what was going on. Now before you go thinking I was just randomly bidding on things let me tell you I have a rather impressive collection of salt and pepper shakers, if I do say so myself. And I do say so myself. Today I added a pair of crabs and some vegetables to my collections, oh happy day!
Otherwise I don't collect anything. Except books, and shoes I suppose - but I am not compulsive about shoes, I just don't ever get rid of them. I probably have over 50 pairs of shoes, but really wear maybe 4 or 5 pairs. I can't get rid of them, they all have a memory attached - the horribly uncomfortable white ones I wore to my wedding that made me pretty much a cripple for the first 2 days of my honeymoon - how could I get rid of those? But I will surely never wear them again. The stinky black heels that were the only things my fat pregnant feet would cooperate with for work - can't lose those. The flip flops that saw me through 3 summers but now feel almost like bare feet - and not in a good way, pavement gets hot - way too many memories and beers spilled on those suckers. Oh and those super cute paisely sandals I got on sale that are like wearing boards strapped on by fishing wire - fucking ridiculously uncomfortable, but really nice looking. Yes, my shoes are safe from the threat of downsizing.
My books - they too are integral members of our family. I reread books, so they all have a chance at future usefulness. But if my books were people, we'd be leaving a serious ecological footprint behind us. Hardbacks, paperbacks, pretty books, beach books, I love them all. I have to actually talk myself down when I see signs psted around town for book sales. I want to roll around naked in a pile of books a la' Demi Moore.
Glenn is as bad as I am, if not worse - his books are all important, meaningful, don't let Alex touch them books that are expensive and have shiny pages and beautiful illustrations and good 'reference material' - Glenn has a serious book collection. Mine are friends, his are colleagues.
Alex has his own collection too, although his treatment of them leaves a little to be desired. He has this one book - well, it's half a book now, the cover and first few pages met with a tragic toilet accident a while back - that makes him laugh as soon as he sees it. I got it at a book sale - see?? - so I can't replace it. We love books here in this house. If we ever ask you to help us move, say no - 70% of the boxes are filled with books.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the dangers of Ebay all to well LOL. I am glad you are blogging again I miss talking to you!

MMJ said...

Ahhh Kate!! It's good to *see* you! I'm glad I saved your blog, hoping you'd return one day.

Anonymous said...

yay! ebay is treachorous! (man i need to learn how to spell. LOL)